Welcome to the Duncan Boat Barn
This site is about small open boats and the people who build and sail them. It takes a certain frame
of mind to decide to venture forth on the open waters in a boat that depends on wind and oars as
it's primary means of propulsion. This site will also cover electric boats, as I think that they are an
important part of the future of boating.
On this site --
- All about the Caledonia Yawl Crazybird
This is Nick Grainger's seminal site about sailing small open boats over long distances of open sea.
Reading his discussion of the Voyage of the Aegre from the North of Scotland to Tahiti and beyond (12,000 miles) in a 21ft Shetland boat will give you an idea of what adventures can be had by those willing to try.
- Discuss Caledonia Yawls and The Aegre voyage
This is Nick Grainger's Discussion Board about building and sailing small open boats. The topics of discussion are centered
on Iain Oughtred's designs. Although originally a Caledonia Yawl site, it has grown to include all of Iain's
designs. It might be really called "Discuss Caledonia Yawls, Ness Yawls and a Tirrik or two". Actually, it goes
far beyond that and contains some of the best information about building and sailing small open boats that can be found
on the web. The contributors are building and sailing these boats."
- Coming soon, a site about the Pepper 15, a fifteen foot gaff rigged sloop designed by William Hitchcock and
manufactured by Salt Marine in the late 1970s. I have been sailing mine since 1979.
- Coming soon, a site about the building of my Caledonia Yawl, CAILIN MEIRE.
- Coming soon, a site about harvesting urban lumber for boat building.
- Small Reach Regatta A site for communication among participants and those interested in the Small Reach Regatta, an annual gathering of rowing and sailing boats in Maine. The event is sponsored by the Traditional Small Craft Association, Down East Chapter.
About me --
I'm a guy with a lot of interests, one of which is small open boats. Mike Duncan
©copyright 2010. Last update October 24, 2014.
duncan.com® is a registered trademark.