Rough timber material list for CY

Discussion about the building and sailing of the Iain Oughtred designed Caledonia Yawl

Moderators: Mike, nick

Rough timber material list for CY

Postby ben » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:56 pm

Just a quick question or two.....

I have been contemplating various designs for my next boat and I've (almost) made up my mind for it to be the 4 strake CY for no other reason other than I prefer the look of it to the 7 strake.

Does anybody have a rough idea as to the timber list? Just a rough idea, don't need it down the the last length but I'm looking to get an idea of what it'll cost to build.

I've built a stitch and tape Selway Fisher Highlander 11 (if you're interest you can see pictures on http://www.selway-fisher.com/Highup13.htm and am sure this project will stretch my skills.

I'm looking for a boat thats stable and safe for myself, wife and 2 young kids to sail. It can be choppy -though I wouldn't knowingly go out with them when rough weather is forecast but need a boat that'll get us back to shore safely. I'd like to to be able to launch/recover the boat easily and being easy to trail would be good as there are some fab sailing grounds the other side of the country about an hours drive away. Will the CY suit? I've been reading here that it's a fab boat....and I love the looks.

Thanks in advance for your advice...
Ben
ben

Re: Rough timber material list for CY

Postby Scott Mason » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:06 pm

Hi Ben,

I thought that there was a rough material list with the plans but mine is missing, or else my memory is bad. Perhaps someone else will chime in with one. Although it is best to have selective memory concerning costs whenever the wife asks, as a rough guess, I think the timber, if by that you mean the wood that is not plywood, costs me about 1 to 2 times the cost of my plywood. I used all CVG fir/larch and meranti plywood. And that includes all the spars. But the wood is the cheapest part of the boat. Plan on spending more to fit out the boat with sails and hardware than you spend on wood. Oh and there's the trailer and motor too. My guess is that the wood/plywood cost about 25% of the total cost of the boat.

I think the CY is a perfect boat for your needs, as they say "good as any, better than most".

My only prior building experience was a stitch and glue boat also. The CY is bigger and takes a lot more time but it's not too much of a stretch

Where are you building and sailing?

Scott
Scott Mason

Postby ben » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:39 pm

Hi Scott,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I was just looking for an idea of the ply and other timber that's needed. I ordered Iain's clinker ply book which came today and I've had my head in that all evening- a brilliant read.

I have a 2.5hp long shaft yamaha outboard which I bought last year and has only seen an hour or two's use. I've read that owners seem to use either this or the 4hp version.

I can weld and have a donor trailer I'm going to use for wheels, suspension units etc so will weld a new chassis when the time comes. These aren't going to be the be all and end all of cost but they should help ease the blow.

The boat will be built on the east coast of Scotland. I have the Firth of Forth on my doorstep and the Firth of Clyde with all the islands etc a sensible drive away.

Ben
ben

Postby Mike » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:39 am

Hi Ben,
Geoff Kerr wrote a 3 issue article in WoodenBoat magazine on building the 4 strake version of the CY. On page 32 of Volume 183 is a pretty accurate materials list. I don't know if you have access to back issues of WoodenBoat or not. The full set are Volumes 183 (March/April 2005), 184 (May/June 2005), and 185 (July/August 2005). This is definitely recommended reading!

I will email you the materials list and an earlier version of the rudder which is no longer published in the plans.

Have fun!
mike
Mike Duncan
Mike
Site Admin

Postby Scott Mason » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:32 pm

Hi Ben,

Living where you do I think I'd call or write Iain Oughtred for his recommendations on a boat design for your water. I would also discuss his latest design "Scoraig Skiff" that appears in the article on the Loch Fyne skiffs in the Jan/Feb issue 218 of WoodenBoat magazine. At 21'7" by 6'7" it's a little bigger than a CY but my oh my what a beauty.

Good luck!
Scott
Scott Mason

Return to All about the Caledonia Yawl